> Yes, but it's not nearly as nice as the other, more modern Nitto
> seatposts or, for that matter, my Dura Aces and old Simplex (think
> it's Simplex) -- whence my question.

Really not sure how you can say this without actually having one at
hand.  As I say in my prior post, I have a horde of old Simplex seat
posts, two of them NOS.  I fully expect the Nitto product to be head
and shoulders above the Simplex in both looks and quality.

And this is coming from an avid collector of Simplex components.  The
Retrofriction DT shifters duly excepted, most Simplex components
belong on the display shelf or a ceiling hanging decoration bike.
Even the vaunted Simplex SLJ derailleurs had their share of foibles
Huret and Campy consistently made better product (save, of course, the
lovely to look at but horrid Campy Rally rear der).