Johnny,
The seat post was not really a bad design at all, but you must understand how
things are manufactured to see why. When this type of post was made, the type
of machinery needed to make it was not that sophisticated. Hence the design
seams less than ideal from our stand point, because CNC mills and lathes are
the norm. We can easily and cheaply make parts that would have cost thousands
50+ years ago.

Look at the evolution of the crank set and bottom bracket. The cotter'd BB is
by far the simplest to make. I could make one with my 1910 South Bend lathe.
The tapered  square bb spindle is much harder to make, and you'll need more
sophisticated equipment to produce these. Now we have the out board bearings
and hollow crank arms, these parts exploit the use of CNC machinery.

And I'd like to add to my review that the Nitto SP-60 is heavier and less
adjustable than just about every other modern seat post. I wanted one for the
look and just because none of my bike club friends have one (most never seen
one!) I have other bikes with Campagnolo seat post, Thomson, and other Nitto
models, so a little diversity was needed.

On Aug 22, 2010, at 6:28 AM, Johnny Alien wrote:

> I am a bit lost on this as well.  While they look great I always
> thought the two part seatposts of the past were a bad design
> decision.  Past nostalgia what would be the benefit of this post?

James Valiensi, PE
Northridge, CA
H818.775.1847 M.818.585.1796