> Aesthetics and nostalgia are two different things.  Assuming the seat
> clamp is well made (if not, Brompton makes a very nice one now), it is
> quite a stretch to say it is a bad design.  The design got a bad rap
> mainly because the seat clamps - which were spec'd and sold by the
> saddle manufacturer were junk.

OK...past aesthetics what is the benefit.  Maybe "bad" design is too
strong but certainly having less moving pieces makes more sense.  If
you had multiple bikes with these it would make moving the saddle
easier but I would think that would not be a common scenario.

I don't have a problem with the stem I am sure it is well made I was
just wondering what make one choose this over another and I think the
answer is aesthetics (or nostalgia). :)