> Nice rant.  Now back in the real world, if you are virtually invisible
> in the dark you certainly have yourself to blame if someone fails to see
> you and runs into you.  Responsibility is shared, and if you're wearing
> nighttime camouflage -- dark clothing, no lighting, no reflectors, dark
> gloves, black balaclava pulled down over the face -- as so many cyclists
> and pedestrians seem to do, blame yourself if you aren't seen.  Drivers
> are neither demigods nor demons.  They're you and me.

I agree to a point.  (Same as NewEnglander, I am not a car driver).

A recent study of New York City car / pedestrian and car / bike
accidents show that the highest percentage of serious fatalities
involved male drivers turning left and hitting cyclists and
pedestrians travelling in the direction opposite to the driver before
the driver made the turn.  I seem to recall the article nearly 70% of
the time the drivers were male.

The authors of the study made no conclusions - perhaps wisely.  I am
less so.  I suspect the results show in urban areas anyway, impatient
drivers are overestimating their ability to account for all the
possible consequences of taking a left turn in an admittedly crowded
environment.

The cyclists proceeding through the intersection with the light, and
the pedestrian in the cross walk both need to exercise due care.  But
the majority of care rests with the driver of the several ton machine
making the more complex maneuver.  I suspect female drivers are more
willing to wait one more light when uncertain of the consequences than
male.  Driver agression and impatience are not the fault of either the
pedestrian or the cyclist.