On Fri, Mar 18, 2011 at 8:52 AM, Jan Heine <hein...@earthlink.net> wrote:

> [...] . My bike rides
> the same whether I carry only a spare tube in the handlebar bag or am
> loaded down with 10 lbs of food and clothes for a 600 km brevet. (Yes,
> you can measure the difference on a long climb, but it doesn't change
> how the bike feels, nor how much I enjoy the ride.)

This is not at all my experience! True, steady state efforts are not much
affected by weight, but frequent accelerations, turns, ups and downs
certainly are. I can tell a difference in the way my 18 lb bike feels when I
"throw it around" compare to the barely 5 lb heavier commuter, not to
mention the 10 lb heavier Motobecane (which is itself very nice; in a way
perhaps nicer riding than the Rivs because of its standard gauge,
lightweight 531 tubing -- or perhaps just the lower gearing; haven't
decided). And climbing with fewer lbs at least in a fixed gear, certainly is
different!

> That said, I really dislike riding bikes with heavy frames. Not
> because they weigh more, but because they feel different. Call it
> "lively feel" or "planing," there is a joy to a high-performance bike
> that is absent from a bike that is overbuilt and too stiff for the
> purpose. Putting lighter parts on a heavy frame doesn't make a
> difference...

I expect that here, as with gearing, individual capacities and style and
tastes decide what frame is heavy and what is light. I've wondered tho' if
the OS custom Rivs I have would feel better if they used tubing more like
the Motobecane's. Tho' I also ride the Fargo and find that enjoyable -- I am
beginning to suspect that I am happiest with a gear of about 67". Must try
the Rivs with such a gear. (And then I get on a Riv after the Motobecane and
tell myself, "Revelation! Glory! Who wudda thunk?)

> In the 1960s and early 1970s, time trial bikes were equipped with
> drilled-out components and even cantilever brakes to save weight.
> (Remember <a href="http://www.bikequarterly.com/rebour.html";>Merckx'
> hour record bike</a>?) The conventional wisdom was that a TT bike had
> to be as light as possible, even on a flat course. Of course, we all
> know that the bike's weight matters little in a flat time trial, but
> the old wisdom probably had some underlying grain of truth. I am sure
> that I would have preferred to ride at a constant, all-out effort on
> the superlight frame of a TT bike than on the heavier frame of a
> standard racing bike, because of its "lively feel" or "planing," and
> not because of the holes drilled into the chainrings!
>
> Jan Heine
> Editor
> Bicycle Quarterly
> http://www.bikequarterly.com