On Tue, 2011-05-17 at 07:35 -0700, charlie wrote:
> I figure I'm not a pizza delivery guy so I won't need a "front
> loader"......a rear saddle bag makes more sense in my rainy climate
> plus I need an excuse to get off my bike a stretch every now and then.
> My clone Atlantis seems to able to take a lighter front load also and
> when I do need something from a front bag when riding (thinking hard
> now) it will usually be light and or small. I think the whole giant
> front bag thing is overrated IMHO.

How big does a bag have to be to qualify as "giant"?  Would you consider
a bag like the Berthoud GB28 "giant"?  (Volume : 12L, Height: 270mm,
Width without pockets: 270mm, Depth without front pocket: 145mm)
http://www.flickr.com/photos/97916047@N00/5027013765/in/set-72157603355855778/

This is a far cry from "pizza deliver guy" territory, and is a fine
example of a large front handlebar bag.

There's enough room for an O2 Rainshield rain jacket and eye glasses
(plus tools, tubes, small camera, lunch, wallet and so on) and if I do
have to take off my sun glasses or put on the rain jacket, I don't have
to actually park the bike to do it; just stopping with both feet on the
ground is enough.

I used to think the "get off every now and then" thing made sense, too,
until one time I did a century where it alternated between sprinkling,
clearing up, darking and sprinkling again every five or ten miles all
day long, and parking the bike and walking around to the back of the
bike to change glasses simply drove me nuts.

Of course, what really tore it was when I got a flat around 65 miles in,
and couldn't get the tube to fit.  I tried it every which way, and it
was just plain too small.  And yet, I could clearly see the "-7 x 1 1/4
inch" written on the tube (the first letter was just a blur).  It took
several minutes before I realized, the tube was a 17 x 1 1/4" tube from
my Moulton...