I've had my Atlantis about 10 months and love it.  I ride it nearly
every day, usually on my 30 mile round-trip commute to and from work.

When I first rode the bike, the low stop setting on the front
derailleur was not set correctly.  It took throwing the chain off onto
the chain stay with minor jamming a few times before I realized what
was happening and the paint on the chain stay was taken off in a swath
of about 1/2 inch.  I haven't done anything to it other than to keep
checking (duh!) but now after a few weeks of bad timing and riding in
rain, I can see rust on the surface.  There isn't a lot of room
between the crank, chain stay and frame in this vicinity and I'm
thinking that to really get at the rust I would need to remove the
crank.  I don't mind giving this a shot, but will need to get a crank
puller and since I'm planning to tour on the bike in a month, I don't
want to get in a position where I'm getting tools, doing something new
and become pressed to get everything back and road tested with a
deadline looming.  What is the best way to contain the rust?  Can it
be done without removing the crank (at least for now)?

BTW, it seems to me that the high / low stop settings are very
sensitive as I had the chain and cassette replaced recently at my
LBS.  I wound up throwing the chain several times on my first ride
after getting the bike back, roughing up my nice polished crank.  This
time it was the high setting that I needed to adjust.  It seems to be
set correctly now but is this a configuration problem--I have a Campy
triple on the front and Shimano XT long cage on the rear?  I recall
reading somewhere (Sheldon Brown?) that these screws should not be
loose--they are loose but not excessively so and they seem to stay
once set correctly?  Is blue lock-tite a recommended solution?

Thanks for your advice.

Joe