I live in the rather flat Piedmont region of NC (Greensboro) and I've
had a Quickbeam for 2+ years now. The gearing I've got it is the 40/32
double in front with a 15T Phil fixed sprocket and a 16/18 Dos Eno on
the flop.

I have used the fixed gear approx 99% of my riding, as I only recall
using the 16T freewheel once when I was totally bushed after getting
lost for 30 miles and needing to coast home. I also tried the 16T once
cruising town just to see how it felt, and I was really just bored to
tears with it. When you really fall in love with fixed riding, being
limited to one speed freewheeling just doesn't have much appeal.

I could see making use of the lower gears on the groomed woods trail
at the school I go to, as plenty of mtn. bikers kick it back there and
it would probably be nice at 32/16. The great thing about a sturdily
set up QB/S1 is that it's totally a multi-application bike. For road
riding however, I think it is worth trying out different gearings with
fixed-only if your in a relatively flat area.

"In a world dominated by the digital
The metronome I listen to beats inside of my chest
It speeds up with the level of stress
It's built to last, but analog at best"
- RJD2

More lyrics: http://www.lyricsmania.com/final_frontier_lyrics_rjd2.html