I have A 17/19 Dos Enos on one side and 16t fixed cog on the other (on my
650b Quickbeam) and 38/40 chainrings (double cranks so no guard)  I use the
38/19 early in the season, or for recovery rides, on dirt roads/trails, in
headwinds, or when I get tired.  I use the 40/17 when I’m feelin’ frisky or
want to work harder/go faster.  I guess I shift at least once on most rides
over 20 miles.  I haven’t used the 16t yet this year—I tend to alternate—I
get into fixed riding and do it a lot or avoid it altogether…and I’m
currently in avoid mode…

Steve