I use the 16-19 with a 39x36 but it would work with a 40x32 also. I
find I ride 90% of the time in the 39x16 (66") but plan on a 22 tooth
freewheel for the flip side for off road and steeper climbs. I use my
36x19 primarily for hills & headwinds or just when I am puttering
around. I don't find that I need the super lows of my geared bike
because I save energy for climbs by spinning on the flats and coasting
on downhills. If I were doing a serious amount of climbing I would
just set the bike up with lower over all gearing or use a geared bike
but...... odd as it may sound I haven't found the need to do so. My
Simple One gets me up all the steep hills in my area in the 51" plus I
climb them faster. I'm slower on the flats and down hill but not by
much however my overall times are nearly the same.