Nope. The bigger the spread, the LESS axle movement in the different
gears. If the the rear cogs are 8 teeth apart, then the axle stays in
the same position in high and low gear, and you could (theoretically)
have vertical dropouts and a two-speed.

I'd go with the 16/19, because I'm an extremist.

The bigger the tire (or the more you care about fender line), the less
you want to move the axle. Even with the nice long QB/S1 dropouts,
I've been using gear ratios that don't move the axle much. The bike
feels a little different when you move the wheel around, you have to
fuss with the fender line, and if you have a little OCD, then it's
really satisfying when the numbers line up elegantly...

I like the 40/32 chainrings paired with a 17/21 Surly "Dingle" fixed
cog on my Quickbeam, and I just built up a coasting bike with 32/36
rings and 14/18 cogs: http://www.biketinker.com/2011/projects/maxs-new-bike/

 Philip

 Philip Williamson
www.biketinker.com