On the last brevet I discussed loading configurations with a very
accomplished Rivendell rider who some of you know.  He had switched his
Hilsen from Handlebar bag to a saddlebag with one of those metal support
dealies that bolt to the saddle rails (bagman?).  He said that he dropped
about 1.25 pounds in the switch and didn't lose any real capacity.  I'm
totally accustomed to having my map case there, and I swing back and forth
on my gram-counter hangups.  These days I don't care a lot about weight.
 Ask me next year and I might be in a different mood about the weight vs
convenience trade offs.