On Nov 11, 2011, at 8:19 AM, John wrote:

> One of my goals for 2012 will be to complete my first brevet -
> probably a 200K for starters.  I need to add a bag to my Rambouillet.
> I'm thinking of starting with one bag - hoping that will be enough for
> this type of ride.  Would you recommend a front bag or rear bag?  I
> know the front bag would give me a place for my map, but not sure if
> there are other factors I should be considering.

Some will tell you that a handlebar bag is the only way to go, and not only
that but it has to be mounted French style on a little rack.  I don't buy it.
Certainly that works and, if your bike has the geometry for it, works very well
but there are other viable options.

I have done brevets- including a brevet series and the 2003 PBP (which I didn't
finish due to tendinitis that developed in both knees)- using a second
generation Banana Bag.  This worked great.  Putting a rack and bar bag on this
bike (Gunnar Crosshairs) resulted in a horrible front end shimmy.  Even just
the empty rack destabilized the steering.

I have done brevets with a Berthoud Mini 86 bag on a Nitto mini rack on my
All-Rounder.  This too worked great.  The steering feels slower with the bag
and rack (I also have an old Sanyo BB generator mounted to the rack because it
can't be mounted at the BBs due to the shape of the chain stays, so that adds
some weight to the rack setup).

I've also done a brevet or two with an Eclipse (I think) handlebar bag that I
bought in about 1978.  It's very light, made of nylon with an internal
stiffener and has a "rack" that loops under the stem and over the top of the
bars- sort of like the Nitto Boxy rack but without bolts.  There are some shock
cords that hook on the dropout eyelets and a detachable map case shaped to fit
typical US road maps.  It installs in about a minute but would only work with a
traditional "7" shaped stem.  It's so light that it seems to have no effect on
steering unloaded.  It had been sitting in the basement for years and I
resurrected it after seeing one of the fastest local randonneurs using the same
bag on his custom Chris Kvale randonneuse.  The down side is that it sits level
with the tops of the bars, instead of low like a rack mountie, and thus the
weight you put in the bag may have a greater effect on handling- I haven't been
able to compare that very readily because my bikes are all quite different.

My wife has a an original Carradice-made Boxy Bag and associated Nitto Rack.
This is a bit heavier than the Eclipse but very solid and worked very well for
her.  She has since changed to a small rear rack with a Lil Loafer because of
the hand space issue caused by the BxyBg.

I can't say that I thought one was radically superior to the other.  For
convenience while riding I would give the nod to the handlebar bag.  For
unobtrusiveness and usability with any bike I would give the nod to the bag
attached to the saddle.

Another local, very fast and dedicated randonneur, uses a Carradice Nelson bag.
 He's been using that for at least 10 years.  I've got mine on my
commuter/errand/winter/etc. bike and love it.  But I haven't tried it on a
brevet, it is just way larger than I would need.  I'm moderately minimalistic
and try to keep the load I carry with me small.  For brevets I carry:

Mini tool kit that fits in an Altoids box
        (Ritchey CPR-9, Park spoke wrench, patch kit, power link, Park tire
boot)
micro Leatherman type tool with pliers
Crank Bros tire lever
two inner tubes
two spare light bulbs for my headlight
Maybe a quick snack like a granola bar
clothing for changing weather as likely to be needed

I see people carry amazing amounts of stuff on rides and brevets, but basically
you've got to take what makes you feel confident.  Otherwise you ay be worrying
as you ride and that's no fun.