I have held off this topic, but perhaps I have a some experience to share.
I bought a Tom Matchak fork to fit my utility vehicle, a Surly Long Haul
Trucker.
http://tommatchakcycles.blogspot.com/2007/03/frame-neutral-replacement-fork.html
I did this because this bike is my tourer and grocery hauler, and I live in
Colorado where climbs can go on for hours, and I was curious about the low
trail concept. I found the handling of the stock LHT slow and cumbersome
that only got worse with any front load and at slow speeds such as climbing
and or heavily loaded. I came to (probably imperfectly) understand this was
mainly due to the large wheel flop associated with the high trail geometry.
I didn't mind its descending manners.

Tom recommended changing my rake from stock 45mm to a custom 68mm. This
took the bike's trail from mid 60s to low 40s. Well the change with the new
fork was not immediately strange or at all drastic. Now the bike just
responds more quickly to my steering inputs. What I have noticed is that on
fast descents the bike no longer tracks 'as if it is on rails' but will
change course if I ask it to. You may or may not like that.

The bike still has very reliable steering, not at all unstable. The bike
rides very easily no handed. It really likes front loads now and I always
carry my groceries home on the front racks. I attribute this to
significantly less wheel flop.

Nothing else changed with this experiment. All the
same racks&fenders&handlebar bag were used before and after. My riding
position did not change. The wheelbase did increase by nearly an inch due
to the increased rake.

This was a splurge for me. I bought an LHT instead of an Atlantis to save
money and to feel I could use it hard and in any weather without guilt.
With the new fork I nearly doubled the cost of the frame. For me it was
worth it. The LHT is more fun for me now and more pleasant in its intended
purpose, carrying stuff. But it may not be the same for you and your bike.

Before:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/79695460@N00/5268867525/in/set-72157607471577085/

Comparing:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/79695460@N00/5268866551/in/set-72157607471577085/