Glad this worked out for you, and it's nice to have a situation for comparison
where there is one primary variable different.

But you mention something that I have read elsewhere, which is that "high
trail" bikes (around 60 mm) can't change direction in mid turn.  This is not my
experience; indeed the best handling bike I have ever ridden is my Ritchey road
bike, which should have around 60 mm trail given its 73 or 73.5 head angle and
45 mm fork offset on 700 x 25 mm tires.  I can easily flick the bike around
objects in the road while cornering fast downhill.  Indeed, if one couldn't do
that, this sort of geometry would not be the standard for professional racing
bikes.