Thanks for the feedback.  Interesting to hear that others have experienced
similar problems.

I changed out the cassette early on, and I THINK that I changed from an
SRAM to a Shimano, though I'm not certain.  I do know, though, that at
least one of the cassettes that I tried was SRAM.  I'm curious, now, to see
if the other bike starts acting up, or if it was just the peculiar mix of
parts that I had....  Silver barends, LX rder, Sugino XD crankset,
SRAM/Shimano cassette...