Rex:

Glad you were able to finally track it down.  It's interesting that
the KMC that was years old & used outperformed the SRAM you had
purchased new.  Perhaps a bad chain? or bad batch?  Unless the cost is
silly expensive it may be interesting to try a new SRAM.  Of course,
you could also tell the shop your experience and come to some prior
agreement on a return or exchange if a new one acts up like the one
you've replaced.  From the other responses, it looks like 9 speeds
work better with same mfg chain & cogs.

At the risk of re-opening the debate about optimal number of speeds,
my experience is all with 7 & 8 speeds.  I generally use SRAM 8xx
(whatever's on sale) chains in the $20 range.  I've used cassettes by
Shimano, Performance brand (maybe Sun Race?) and the Atlantis came
with a Sun Race cassette.  They've all worked pretty much the same,
even with some of my goofy cog mixing'n'matching.  The Shimano
cassettes do last longer but there are few 8 speed choices these days.

dougP