Sean,

I have a 56 Hillborne, single top tube, that I have had for nearly 3
years.  For the first 2 years it was set up with a touring wheelset,
fenders, kickstand, front and rear nitto racks to hold small and large
trunksacks.  Before buying the Hillborne, I test rode a Novara
Randonee and a Cannondale T1.  Both rode like touring bikes, which is
what I expected.  I decided to buy the Hillborne without ever riding
it, or seeing it.  The Hillborne feels much sportier than either of
the touring models I tried.

Early last spring I made the mistake of weighing my Hillborne.
Without bags it weighed close to 30 pounds.  I decided to try to make
it a slimmer, go faster bike.  I removed the fenders, kickstand, and
racks.  Mounted lighter 32 tires instead of the heavier 35s I had been
using.  I think it dropped down to around 25 pounds, and maybe I felt
just a little faster.  Within a few weeks I had reinstalled the
fenders and the kickstand.

The biggest change in speed was a change in wheelset.  I moved the
touring wheelset to a Hunqapillar last May and got Ultegra hubs laced
to Open Pro rims for my Hillborne.  This made a noticeable
difference.  I also have since added 35 Marathon Supremes.  My
Hillborne is my gofast bike, though the only racing I do is with my
shadow.

Based on the other bikes you have, it sounds like a Hilsen, or
possibly even a Roadeo, could be considered.

Good luck in your search.

Jon