I doubt there's an ideal bar for s Sam, as there is no "ideal" build for a Sam.
The versatility is the virtue. If you want to sit up and watch the scenery, and
Albatross or similar would be great. For fast-ish road riding it's hard to beat
drops. Wide Noodles with interrupter levers feel especially nice riding around
on the tops. Good for your towpath rides. Almost makes your bike seem like it
has drops AND flat bars. In the middle would be Moustache and the like.

Sounds to me like it would help you to think a bit more about the line between
when you'd ride the Sam and when you'd ride your custom roadie. Since you have
the top end of the performance spectrum covered, I wouldn't push the Sam to be
something it doesn't want to be. It can fill an awful lot of ground in the
middle, but isn't the best choice for either of the extremes.

Pete in CT