I really do appreciate everyone for sharing their thoughts on this topic.
It seems as though most people who have a Sam mostly use it for carrying a
bag or two.  However, if one desired, it is possible, given the proper
wheels and tires, to make this bike a go-fastish bike, though this is
probably not the ideal use of a Sam.

Since I already have a narrow tire (25 mm max) bike, I have not need for
another bike like that.  From what I have read, it seems that a Homer may
tend toward the faster end of the spectrum, while a Sam is more on the
slower/load carrying end of the spectrum.  The San Marcos would be the
budget choice that fits between the Homer and the Sam - with the faster
feel of a Homer while a bit less load carrying ability than the Sam.

Does the Bleriot fit closer to a Sam or closer to a San Marcos?  I like the
single top tube of the Bleriot, but did the Bleriot only come in 650B wheel
size?

Since I can put together nearly an entire ready-to-ride bike (Sam or San
Marcos) for the price of a custom frame alone, it seems like one of those
bikes may be the budget conscious choice for me.

The other option, of course, is to jump on a great deal on a used bike.
Truth be told, if there was cash on hand, that probably would already have
been done!  This is where I really appreciate the layaway option that
Rivendell is currently providing.  That plan makes it a bit easier to
obtain a new frame from Riv World Headquarters.

Sean