Corollary to Justin's excellent point of 'whatever makes you happy is
nobody else's business', I think Grant is saying 'don't be bullied into
conformity by popular bike culture, particularly by unrealistic racing
fantasies'. Sometimes I think Grant likes to humorously needle even
conformity with the Riv aesthetic, which he does by running non-boutique,
sometimes even blatantly cheap components, having bikes that are well
"beausaged" (aka beat up), putting kickstand feet on his bar-end shifters,
etc. In any case, the point is to do your own thing and be skeptical of
others' opinions.

Underlying all this, there is the sense that the bike industry channels us
into a choice between "serious" sport bikes or geekier, less cool options,
with little in between. Of course, the bike world has changed a lot in the
past 5-10 years, and now there are choices in bicycles and gear available
to suit almost any taste or personality.