On Monday, May 21, 2012 9:03:40 AM UTC-7, Jim Thill - Hiawatha Cyclery
wrote:

> When I first started cycling as an adult, I purchased a $430 big-brand
> "hybrid" style bike that was god-awful ugly but served my novice self
> perfectly as a commuter and general transportation/recreation machine. But
> when I decided that I was committed enough to bikes to get something
> fancier/cooler, the big-brand shop didn't have any upgrades that weren't
> racing-style bikes or suspended MTBs. The message was clear: the only way
> to be a serious cyclist was to aspire to the racing image and racing
> paradigms. I knew that probably was not ever going to be my cup of tea. The
> ensuing internet research led me to conclude that a touring bike was what I
> really wanted, but the only one likely to be found locally was the Trek
> 520, and none of the local shops I called had one in stock. Eventually, I
> "discovered" and purchased an Atlantis. That was my first truly good bike,
> and even though I no longer own it, it has influenced all my subsequent
> ideas about bikes.

Jim, you don't say how old you are, but I'm betting you're quite a bit
younger than me (I'm in my mid-50s). What you may not realize is that most
LBS stopped selling or at least reduced their inventory of "touring-style"
bikes in the early to mid-80s or when mtb starting becoming popular. I
recall Sheldon Brown saying that it took like 2-3 years to sell off well
made and reasonable touring style bikes because nobody wanted them.

Basically, in the 90s, everyone wanted either a mtb or racing-style bike.
The only exception as you noted was Trek with its 520. Riv came along and
found the niche and offered touring style to fill that void. Of course,
their first bike, the Riv Standard was more "racy" with short reach brakes
and clearance for only 28mm tires than their current offering. I guess you
could say its been evolving.

Then again, I still don't get two top tubes for a 56cm frame, but that
another issue....Good Luck!