My experience, too. Albuquerque has a very extensive cycling
population among whom are many racers. I've "caught up" to or
otherwise ridden with several of the higher level ones and they have
been uniformly polite; one sponsored man telling me, "hang on, if you
want." (I wanted but realized I couldn't, thereby saving myself much
needed humiliation.) The Masters-level captain of a local team rode
with me two or three times -- we lived in the same neighborhood. (This
was some years go; come to think of it, all of these instances were
~10 years ago which says something of the decline in my speed.) The
assholes have been, at least to first appearance and seeming ability,
neophytes, like the jerk who "drafted" me on the grocery-front-loaded
Herse, of all things (huge porteur bag stuffed with 25 lb) and, when I
expressed my annoyance, passed me on the *right* resulting in some
words from me -- as well as an attempt to draft *him* which succeeded
for a mile or so).

OTOH, I think ABQ has, probably just from the size of the cycling
population, all sorts including a large and lively "hilpster"
population. Just last week I passed two women on what looked to be
very high end Dutch bikes: glossy colors, colored balloon tires, hub
brakes, full fenders and chaincases, lighting: should have slowed to
talk but didn't think about it until half mile ahead.

The bike shops here carry a wide selection of different types; even
the high end racing shop nearby carried Amersterdams and Milanos in
addition to the $4500 carbon fiber 29ers and Cervelos. They do much of
my special ordering: SS stuff, dynamo stuff, 27 mm wide Synergy rims,
ooh'd and aah'd over the trike, built my SnoCat wheels, etc.

--

Patrick Moore, Albuquerque, NM

A billion stars go spinning through the night
Blazing high above your head;
But in you is the Presence that will be
When all the stars are dead.

Rainer Maria Rilke, Buddha in Glory