On May 18, 8:18 am, Pondero <cj.spin...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Totally on board with the ride for fun philosophy, but I also suspect that
> some of those in-training racer folks are actually having fun.

Agreed.  Almost every racer I know has a lot of fun doing it.  And
despite certain preferences (some misguided, for sure), a lot of
racers are actually pretty passionate about cycling in general which
is a good thing.  Whether we kike it or not, cycling is still a sport
and it's not just "lance wannabes" who do it - the vast majority of
people will never race anywhere near the elite level, let alone pro
level.  But they do anyway because it's fun to challenge yourself and
participate in something.  It's no different than any other physical
endeavor - you can take it as far as you want.

There's a marathon in Burlington, VT this weekend - the event is about
as a good of an example as you can get of people of different
abilities challenging themselves in the same "race."  99% of the
people who line up know they will not win the race.  100% are there to
prove something to themselves without regard for winning or losing -
just finishing, or setting a personal record (the "PR") will be a big
deal.  it's very similar to randonneuring.  bike racing is the same.
it's all the same - we set goals and take steps to achieve them.
whatever keeps people inspired and motivated, more power to them.