On Mon, 2012-07-02 at 14:23 -0700, Garth wrote:

> Steve, My hypothesis is for each of us, if we wish, to look at our own
> prejudices towards a material we may actually know nothing about !
> Just becasue so and so says it was this or that .  It may be true for
> them... but is it true for me ?  And if your favourite frame could be
> 5 pounds lighter for the same price .... would you still choose your
> heavier one ? .. after all ... weight doesn't matter... right ?
> lol :)

And I think I explained why that can never be.  Wishing never makes a
bike, production processes do.  And some materials are more amenable to
a custom, one-off, limited production for a niche market than others.

If I want to lose 5 lb, it makes more sense to lose it off me than off
the frame.  And if I pursued losing those 5 pounds maybe six times, then
by gar, I could lose a few spokes off my wheels, too.

> For myself ... it doesn't matter up to point !  I don't want another
> 10 lbs. added to my Bombadil for sure !  Nor do I want to ride 1000
> gram rims.  There IS a difference in feel .... and we need not "put up
> with" more weight of the bike than we choose to .  It's all about our
> individual choice.  That's why we even exist ... to choose :)

Yes, "Step away from that ice cream bar!"

> Would I like a F150 that weighed 3000-3500 lbs and had 500 HP and got
> 50 MPG ?   Ummm.... if I could .... I just might want it !   We're all
> kinda snobbish in our own ways .... and it's okay to admit it ... or
> not .. lol :)

No, that's just plain silly, not snobbish.  500 hp, 50 mpg, pick one.
It's like the holy trinity, "Good, fast, cheap: pick any 2."  Some
things you simply cannot have, and wishing for them is futile.