Now, I don't ride fast.  And because of that, rarely ride with others.  And
the skinniest tire I have is a 700x37.  But if wider is always faster, then
the Surly Moonlander with the 4.5 inch wide, incredibly supple tires must
the the fastest bike out there.

(As Jim Thill can attest, we rode with a guy on a Surly Pugsley last year
who could keep up with anyone.  He passed me at nearly 40mph on one
downhill and later chased and caught up with a tandem during some rolling
hills.)

Eric Platt
St. Paul, MN