I was thinking the other day, it is remarkable in this day and age when we
can pretend to put a man on the moon, we can’t get derailleurs to shift
just right.

:-)

If it is the rear derailleur ghost shifting, it may be that the shifter
isn’t tightened enough. Or there is too much extraneous friction between
the shifter and derailleur, but with downtube shifter that shouldn’t be
hard to clean up.

If it is the front derailleur, with silver shifters it will shift onto the
smaller chainwheel if you stand and grind up a hill. Get a shimano-7700, it
has a spring to prevent that from happening.