On Sat, 2012-08-25 at 14:05 -0700, Michael Hechmer wrote:
> Seven speed can be a good solution for a friction triple. I commuted
> on a 7 sped freewheel for many years and it worked fine for me.  But 7
> spd cassettes are rare, generally of lower quality and often have very
> big jumps between cog sizes.   I like the availability of 12-27 &
> 11-28  9 speed cassettes, which allows me to drop the size of the big
> ring.  A 13/52, 12/48, and 11/44 all provide the same hi gear; but the
> options for a lower gear, with a good shifting pattern increase
> dramatically.

Trade-offs, and individual preferences.  All those provide a high gear
that for me is uselessly high.  For me, 52x14, 48x13, 44x12 are all the
top gear I need, except for a tandem.  I've got 20/32/44 x 12-27 on one
bike, and I wouldn't go there again in future.

For me, aside from improved friction shifting, a big advantage of 7
speed is the availability of 14-32, 13-30 and 13-34 cassettes.  14-32 x
39/53 is amazingly nice on a 650B city bike or commuter.

> My Rambouillet (do the French seem to use up a lot of the worlds
> supply of vowels or what!) has a 44/30 and an 11/28.  The hi gear
> launches me and the low gear equals a racing triple, enough for me to
> sustain 8% climbs and manage 10% ramps without too much difficulty.
> If I know I will need to sustain 10% or more than I need lower gears,
> which means going to a triple.   With 7 speed I get wider steps and
> different steps which may be just as important to me.  This is not the
> end of cycling joy by any means, but everything is a tradeoff.

> I do have a fear that 9 speed could suffer the same commercial fate as
> 7 & 8 speed.  I'm hoarding cassettes, and always buy an extra smallest
> cog, since that seems to be what wears out first.

The "commercial fate" of 7 speed is the chrome cassettes are now
unavailable, but the black ones are all still available.  Not so pretty,
but functionally just as good.  That's not the case with 8: in the past
2 or 3 years virtually all the 8 speed combinations have gone.  Only
11-x are still in available, and for me 11 only makes sense if you have
a 20" wheel.

I find it amazing that you wear out 11T sprockets.  I have 13T sprockets
I've been using (on 12-27 --> 13-30 9 speed conversions) that I've been
using since 2005 that are still fine.  I'm amazed your 11s get any wear
at all, since (as already noted) 11 x anything is so high as to be
absolutely useless on anything but a small-wheeler.  You aren't spending
a lot of time in the 11x30, are you?