Thanks for writing up your experiences with these different and quite
interesting bikes.  I could never get the Silvers to work for me.  I wish Grant
had gone one (big) step more in engineering and designed them with a ratcheting
action like the Suntour Bar-ends I had on some of my older bikes.  They seem to
shift quite nicely with a soft tick or two and ghost shift far less.  YMMV.

I'm sort of fascinated with the level of precision you expect from an ancient
and obsolete system of tightening of a cable, and from the human hand after
hours of riding.  And all this on a system with narrow spacing and thining
sprockets.  If I was using friction shifting of any kind, I'd be reaching to
tighten up the D ring every time I stood up to pedal.

It would drive me bonkers speculating what else could be hampering my shifting,
there are so many variables.  I would first have to convince myself the
derailler was up to the job, then study the cable routing and stops also being
sure the cables inside your Ferrells are cut and ground cleanly to eliminate
any chance of movement.  Frayed or broken wire strands?  Got some kind of guide
for the cables over the bottom bracket?

It might be enough to convince me to go back to five speed cassettes.

My last cable shifting derailler bike was Campy Chorus, so I've already gone
over to the dark side.  But, considering what my expectations would be
comparing that with the old way, I'm afraid I'd be disappointed too much of the
time with friction.

Keep up the fight, and be comfortable with whatever you ride with.

Phil B