Sorry about your experience Phil.  Mine has been quite different.

I spent nearly 20 years riding and racing with Campy DT shifters and NR
deraillers.  They had a definite overshift and it became second nature to
me to shift pass the gear (first 6 & then 7 spd freewheels) and back a
smidge.  In 1998 or 9 I was having a hard time getting good freewheels
(they have since made a comeback) and made a big investment to go to
Ultegra 9 spd.  The LBS was emphatic that I would be "in shifters hell"
with 9  spd friction.  So I reconfigured 2 bikes into 9 speed triples with
Ultegra SIS brifters.  Instead, I found myself constantly fussing with the
front shifter.  And I found myself bored by the whole experience.  Some
how, much like my car, shifting felt integral to the experience.  So I went
back to friction, this time with Silvers.  I have never regretted it nor do
I ever think of it as "obsolete."  In fact, my experience has been that
friction shifters are much easier to set up and maintain than Shimano
brifters.  When I chat with casual riders, they often tell me they need to
take their bikes to a good mechanic when the shifting becomes erratic.
 This doesn't sound easier to me.

I have no experience with Campy indexed, other than V1 Chorus, which was
awful.

Riding with a 31 TT double I rarely, virtually never, need to fuss with the
setup.  New cables stretch out, as they do on all systems,  and then I
adjust the system.  After that I just ride.  I began this post with the
hope of helping people who were struggling with this.  I believe it is
excellent, but probably has functional limitations.  What's most important
is what doesn't interfere with the joy you put into riding.  Do what works
for you.

Michael