Very interesting; I find the Silvers far better than the old SunTour
Power Rachets; in fact, the Silvers are the best BES I've ever used. I
don't have a problem with them loosening. I use them off road, too.
Perhaps I just have lower expectations? I am pretty sure I shift less
than most multi-speed riders. Also, my smallest cogs are 15 and 16
(two wheelsets); I wonder if you ghost shift less with bigger cogs?

FWIW, too, when I friction shift modern 9 and 10 sp cassettes,
everything certainly works better than with the old 5 speed fws I've
used, at least using modern, early-index derailleurs: shifting old
SunTour 6 speed and old Miscellaneous 5 speed fws on the trike with a
Simplex retrofriction and a mid '80s Shimano slant parallel was an
exercise in patience and planning ahead. OTOH, I found the stem
shift/Huret Alvit/5 speed wide range fw setup on a former Collegiate
to shift just fine.

Ultimate indexing: flip the wheel; or, even better, stand up and honk.

On Sat, Aug 25, 2012 at 4:41 PM, Phil Bickford <phi...@sonic.net> wrote:
> Thanks for writing up your experiences with these different and quite
> interesting bikes.  I could never get the Silvers to work for me.  I wish
> Grant had gone one (big) step more in engineering and designed them with a
> ratcheting action like the Suntour Bar-ends I had on some of my older bikes.
> They seem to shift quite nicely with a soft tick or two and ghost shift far
> less.  YMMV.
>
> I'm sort of fascinated with the level of precision you expect from an ancient
> and obsolete system of tightening of a cable, and from the human hand after
> hours of riding.  And all this on a system with narrow spacing and thining
> sprockets.  If I was using friction shifting of any kind, I'd be reaching to
> tighten up the D ring every time I stood up to pedal.
>
> It would drive me bonkers speculating what else could be hampering my
> shifting, there are so many variables.  I would first have to convince myself
> the derailler was up to the job, then study the cable routing and stops also
> being sure the cables inside your Ferrells are cut and ground cleanly to
> eliminate any chance of movement.  Frayed or broken wire strands?  Got some
> kind of guide for the cables over the bottom bracket?
>
> It might be enough to convince me to go back to five speed cassettes.
>
> My last cable shifting derailler bike was Campy Chorus, so I've already gone
> over to the dark side.  But, considering what my expectations would be
> comparing that with the old way, I'm afraid I'd be disappointed too much of
> the time with friction.
>
> Keep up the fight, and be comfortable with whatever you ride with.
>
> Phil B

"Believe nothing until it has been officially denied."
                                                   -- Claude Cockburn