I honestly wouldn't have considered wearing a helmet before I had kids.
 Now I have to do it at least for example.  I let my daughter ride up and
down the hill without her helmet, but I still cringe when I see her coming
down the hill at a clip.  I've also seen her at 35 mph on hills, but that
would never be without a helmet (not sure it would help at that speed).
 But agreeing with my last post, a helmet is a great platform for a mirror.
 My nephew rode into the back of a car in Denver traffic when he was
checking behind him (without a mirror).  He was wearing a helmet, and nosed
it into the guy's rear window, and did enough damage to the car that his
auto insurance had to repair it.