Patrick is right, food and calories in general are an economy of scale,
where small decisions can add up to something huge down the road, whether
for the better or worse.  And while I am a political person I really hate
to bring up politics or religion with people I don't know that well but I
have to say that obesity is less in European countries that have more of a
focus on quality of life as opposed to being slaves to the allmighty
dollar. Even the Germans, who are put on a pedestal as the example of what
hard work and dedication can accomplish have more paid time off and just
free time in general to relieve some of the stress of every day life. I
agree that using food for comfort can be just as dangerous as drugs or
alcohol but again the drive to work more and more means less time to
actually talk to someone or take a breather and go for a bike ride or read
a book. We are taught from an early age that food is "comfort" and that
exercise is "grueling" so it is easy to see why so many Americans are
obese, but much harder to reverse this trend.