BASTARDS RULE!

Marc (Lazy Bastard) Schwartz
LC, NM
From: rbw-owners-bunch@googlegroups.com [rbw-owners-bunch@googlegroups.com] on
behalf of Jeremy Till [jeremy.t...@gmail.com]
Sent: Thursday, November 01, 2012 10:29 AM
To: rbw-owners-bunch@googlegroups.com
Subject: [RBW] Re: "Bastardizing" a bike and its fit - idea of. A discussion.

Well, if there is such a thing as geometric bastardization, I'm guilty of
multiple counts.  Probably the worst is my Trek 520, which I bought long before
I knew much of anything about geometry, fit, etc.  To make matters worse, I was
in love with flared drop bars like the On-One Midge, which needed to get up
high to be comfortable, and I had long ago cut the fork way short.  This was
the
result<http://www.flickr.com/photos/jimg/4026122717/in/set-72157622495201619>,
pictured on a Riv ride a few years ago.  Midge bars, hi-rise stem on steerer
tube extender.  The thing is....it worked great!  It fit me (in terms of the
contact points being in the right place, if not fitting the frame well) and I
rode many comfortable miles like that.  I also had an old bastardized low-end
schwinn road bike with slack angles that I made even slacker by using a long
touring fork, and built up as a townie fixed gear.  That was totally weird but
again, was one of the nicest riding bikes I've ever owned, so much so that I
regret selling it and am looking around for one of those frames so I can try it
again*.

I think that this whole "bastardization" thing is basically a normative
response built into the culture of cycling, perhaps supporting successive bike
purchases until you find the "one" (as if that's possible) that meets your
particular aesthetic and fit ideas.  And by all means, if you have the
resources to do so, finding the "one" can be a rewarding experience, as many on
here have shown.  But my point is this....if your resources are limited such
that modification makes more financial sense than buying a new frame or bike,
don't be afraid to try out-of-the-box things with a bike you already own, even
if you feel it goes against some "rules" of aesthetics or bike design.  If
nothing else, experimenting with a current bike can tell you what to look for
in your next bike.

And remember that beauty is in the eye of the beholder.  While the Atlantis in
CJ's picture might have been the "height" of bastardization for him, to me it
looks really nicely proportioned.  Maybe that's because I've spent a lot of
time pouring over pictures of old drop bar 26" MTB's, and that Atlantis seems
to have similar lines.

Another thing...I bet the "bent shafted seatpost" in question was a Thomson,
which many people complain about being weird for having "so much setback," when
in truth the setback Thomson only has about 16mm of setback, less than many
"normal" setback seatposts which are usually in the 20-25mm range, including
the popular nittos and the so ubiquitous as to be unnoticeable kalloy laprade.
I bet the LBS owner in question wouldn't have batted an eye if the bike had
come in with a seatpost like this
one<http://images1.excelcycle.com/images/P/fsa-components-k-force-seatpost-32mm-set-back.jpg>,
 which at 32.5mm of setback has twice that of the Thomson.  So really, it's
just that a lot of people are put off by the aesthetics of the Thomson.  I love
'em.  Great clamp hardware.

*Anybody have a 1989 or 1990 Schwinn World Sport in the 25"/62cm size?