I bastardized my first Riv, a 56cm Atlantis with a Thomson setback
seatpost.  Turns out the Nitto seatpost originally on there had more
setback to begin with, but I was at the min insertion with the
Nitto.

When I initially measured my PBH, there was some of kind bias because
I had already found a bike for sale.  I wanted my PBH to be 85cm, the
maximum prescribed measurement for a 56 Atlantis.  When the bike
arrived (used, third owner) I even set the saddle height to 74.5,
again per the measurement prescription.  The seat was not even pushed
back all the way in the rails.  The bike fit and rode wonderfully.
And then something happened.

After about 4 months of riding the bike, the bastardization began.
During every ride, the seat would get a little higher, the saddle
would get pushed back a little further, the stem a little higher.
Swapping out pedals for lower profile ones to get saddle height back
down.  Wanting longer stems and Noodle bars (over Dream) for a further
reach.  Adding the Thomson post from the parts bin for greater
height.  Putting on 50mm tires and wondering for 55s might fit to make
the bike feel and ride higher.  The height of bastardization:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/69091655@N08/7174996127/.  I wasn't happy
with how it looked anymore and rode it less, forcing myself to believe
it was all wrong, too small and just move on.

I traded for a 59cm Hilsen frame.  While tearing it down I put the
saddle height and stem to aesthetically pleasing positions.  I would
need to be well on the small side of prescribed fit to get the bike
looking right in my mind.

The Atlantis is now being loved by another list member far less fickle
than I.  The Hilsen fit is darn near perfect and the honeymoon is well
over having ridden it several hundred miles this summer.  The need for
geometric and aesthetic bastardization would have been abated if my
initial PBH measurements were correct and I waited for a bigger bike
to come along for sale.