I read Grant's post, and I think there's a red herring here - the damage to
the wheel came not from continued pedaling, but from continued rotation of
the wheel. They're simply not the same thing. Either something got into the
spokes, ahead of the derailer and inside the chain, or something smashed
the derailer into the spokes from the side. Either way, the derailer was
yanked back, and snapped off the rear dropout, and some spokes on the drive
side of the wheel were snapped.

In any case, the damage was not done by continued *pedaling* - it was done
by continued rotation of the wheel after something jammed up the works. The
rider could have been simply coasting along. Purely armchair racing here,
yes, but the best thing any of us could do in such a case is to stop as
quickly as possible.

- Andrew, Berkeley