Last year I was really getting by with one, but I was also living in a
place where I couldn't bike commute, and I bought a car.  Now I'm back
(hopefully for a while) living in a place where I bike commute, and I'm
doing really well getting by with two.

The thing that iterates it for me is that I really love fixed gear/SS
riding, especially for having a really reliable, bombproof bike.  So my
current two bikes are the FG/SS commuter/ city bike (Quickbeam) and the fun
all-around geared road bike for fun rides in the hills (Salsa Casseroll),
which can handle fenders for wetter weather or wider tires for off-pavement
excursions.

I used to be of the belief that "beaters" were also really important bikes,
i.e. reliable bikes that you could thrash around on, leave locked up
anywhere, and not really worry about.  So in my mind things used to iterate
out that I would have a fixed gear beater (for low maintenance), but since
I really appreciate high-quality fixed gears I'd have one of those as well
(kind of a go-fast), and then I'd have my geared ride, and that could
quickly iterate out into a light geared roadie for fast, fun rides and a
heavier weight gearie for touring and offroad.  So for a while there I was
heading for at least 4 bikes.

But recently I've come to realize that financially and time wise, I can
really only support about two bikes (any more and at least one falls into
disrepair for months or years at a time), and I much more happy with to
high-quality bikes than more numerous but middling quality ones.  I also
realize some of what makes a high-quality bike for me also makes them much
more useful (the ability to fit racks, fenders, and lighting easily, wider
tires, a well-built steel frame).  So I've come around to using my
Quickbeam--in some ways, the fanciest bike I've ever owned--as my everyday
utility bike, for commuting, shopping, riding to the bar, etc.  I'm lucky
that I work in a place where I can keep my bike inside, always within
eyesight, and for everything else I try to be smart about how I lock it
up--I don't leave it in low-traffic places unattended for long periods of
time, I don't consistently lock in the same places for hours, etc.  I'll
feel bad if it gets stolen or damaged but for me the advantages and
pleasures of riding a high-quality bike everyday outweigh the risks.  So
"beater" is no longer necessarily part of my equation.

The only serious other bike I would use is a touring bike, but that is much
more of a once-in-a-while thing for me, but maybe that may change since my
wife is becoming interested in touring and we're building up a touring bike
for her.  And I have a Trek 520 touring bike that I will probably never
sell for sentimental reasons, but it definitely lies within the "disrepair"
category current, and it never fit me really well, and the fork is too
flexy for serious loads, etc--so I'm not really that enthused about
dropping money/time into it.  Perhaps if I can figure out a good touring
solution for the Casseroll--perhaps a BOB trailer?--I'll use that for any
upcoming tours.