I've been doing it for two years now. I had a fixed gear as a second bike.
I guess I got caught up in the fad and it quickly wore off. Now I'm just
rolling on my Sam. Commuting, leisure rides and about 1-3 long group rides
a year. Everyone loves it on the group rides and I'm sure a lot of them are
shocked that I'm riding such a heavy thing. With the racks, generator hub,
overly built up wheels and fenders. I'm in the process of rebuilding the
wheels and this will be the first time I've actually added something that
LOWERED the weight. Of course I'm not concerned with being first.  :)  I've
worn out or switched out many parts and I've saved a little stockpile so if
something breaks I can manage for a few days. Worst comes to worst, there's
the bus. I don't do much, if any trail riding but I'm sure if a back road
trip came up I could "adapt" the bike for it. I sort of think of it as one
of those fighter jets that they just hang different ordnance on for
different purposes.

-The other Seattle Brian.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/neutralbuoyancy/5551209249/in/set-72157607896493013