Wow, I thought we'd bludgeoned this one to death! Guess not.

Having said that, I'll jump in. I've read (casually -- came across
them more or less by accident) recent opinions that it is refined
sugars in particular that are harmful. Here, for example (the blogger
is a retired British MD who more often comments on British social
decay):

http://www.newenglishreview.org/blog_direct_link.cfm/blog_id/47949/cat_id/13

I a priori discount the "caveman" argument for the "paleo diet"
argument since that is obviously to argue the conjectural by the
largely imaginary -- we have no idea really how our most ancient
hunter gatherer ancestors lived. But enough people seem to do better
eating very little carb and a lot of fat and protein for me to
discount it altogether. The few Inuit I knew 30 years ago certainly
weren't fat -- slight, rather.

On the other hand, too many more people have thrived on diets composed
largely of grains (even refined grains) and other carbs (white rice,
white potatoes, manioc, corn, not to mention wheat, rye, oats,
sorghum, millet, quinoa, teff, what have you) to allow one to
logically discount carbs of one sort or another as a normal part of
human diet. Even some hunter gatherers eat a lot of carbs sometimes.

My own take from this is that diet is like saddle preference and
adjustment: you can give certain general rules (don't raise your
saddle so high you need to tippy toe to reach the pedal; don't make
your diet principally of obvious junk) but that beyond this, it is
foolish to think that one kind of food will best suit every person. I
daresay different ethnic groups have developed affinities for
different diets.

[A tangent to Dalrymple's essay is his reference to a late 18th or
very early 19th century tome on "corpulency" that might be a
refreshing "alternate take" on at least the social and personal issues
involved.

http://books.google.com/books/about/Comments_on_corpulency_Lineaments_of_lea.html?id=7FFT9sBdsWYC

The author of that one recounts a patient, a sporting man, whose
weight rose from 14 to 20 stone -- it was getting hard for him to be
active. He asked for a pill. The doctor, Wade found out that he drank
4 gallons of ale a day -- and decided he'd rather be fat than give up
his ale.]

BUSINESS BUILDING COME-ON!!
$300 off a $600 resume + letter or Linked In profile package with
referral that leads to full price sale! Refer two full-pay clients and
you get the package for free!

I am not cheap, but I am very good. So they say.

Patrick Moore, Ph.D, MBA, ACRW, Albuquerque, NM, USA
http://resumespecialties.com/index.html * patrickmo...@resumespecialties.com