I would rather know how wide is wide enough (as opposed to how wide is too
wide).

It seems generally accepted that really low pressure results in more
rolling resistance than somewhat more pressure does. Somebody (sorry to say
I forget the proper citation to credit the appropriate party) did some
investigation and concluded that the pressure to achieve 15% drop produced
an optimum trade off, with further increases in pressure yielding
insignificant reductions in resistance. They then generated curves
indicating what pressure was required to produce the chosen 15% drop as a
function of load and tire width.

If I recall correctly that work presumed that further pressure increases
would produce small reductions in resistance but that rider comfort would
be compromised and it wasn't worth it to ride harder tires. I think Jan's
work shows that (due to suspension losses which he includes in rolling
resistance) for real world conditions there will be a true rolling
resistance minimum at some optimal pressure for a given combination of road
surface, rider, and tire. The point where decreasing losses in the tire
itself are offset by increased suspension losses in the rider determining
that optimum. I think it is reasonable to postulate that such an optimum
pressure would depend on how rough the surface was. I do not know if Jan
(or anybody else) has tested that hypothesis.Since narrower tires ride
squishier for a given pressure, it also seems likely that such an optimum
pressure would be higher for narrower tires. Again I don't know if that
hypothesis has ben tested experimentally.

The question "does tire a roll faster than tire b" is not really a properly
posed question without some assumption about the tire pressure. If we
accept Jan's statements about suspension losses it seems assumptions about
the road surface (and perhaps the body composition of the rider) may also
be necessary. Are the tires to be compared at equal pressure? At 15% drop?
At an experimentally determined optimum pressure for a given load and road
surface? I think we all assume such comparisons are made with equal load,
and that increasing or decreasing the load would not change the relative
rankings of the tires (I don't know if anybody has proven that
experimentally).

What I would like to know is, for me, using tire pressures I find comfy but
not overly squishy, how much faster is a Hetre than a Lierre than a Cypres
on different sorts of surfaces. I expect the only way to find out is to buy
and ride each type myself, because I doubt anybody is going to publish
curves of watts per kph  as a function of load and tire pressure on a
variety of surfaces for each of those tires (with margin of error /
uncertainty too of course).

It would sure be nice if somebody did though.