Obviously, if your tire is flat, rolling resistance is very high. So there
is a minimum pressure below which rolling resistance increases. In our
testing, we found that this pressure was about at the point where the tire
no longer cornered safely - pretty low!

There also must be a maximum pressure beyond which tires become slower. At
infinite pressure, the tire would be totally stiff, and then you'd be back
to the old days when wheels were shod with narrow strips of rubber. Those
were very slow.

In reality, the pressures we tend to ride are in the middle - even 200 psi
isn't making a tire totally stiff - so we don't need to worry about it.
Basically, a Grand Bois 700C x 32 mm (or Vittoria CX Corsa 25 mm) tire is
as fast at 60 psi as it is at 200 psi. At moderately high pressures (110
psi or so), they actually were a little slower, but this is a minor effect.
While statistically significant (so it's not noise in the data), running
your tires at 110 psi will only make you marginally slower than running
them at 60 or 80 psi. I am quoting from memory, the exact data is in the
*Bicycle
Quarterly* article (Vol. 11, No. 3).

So for practical purposes, tire pressure should be selected as low as you
can go while still getting good cornering. This holds true at least for
high-performance tires. We haven't tested this for sturdy, belted utility
tires, but if you are concerned about performance, you won't run those,
anyhow.

Jan Heine
Editor
Bicycle Quarterly