Doug wrote:

> I think that having a powerful steering servo is only part of the solution.
> You also need a mechanism to handle the jolts and bumps without transmitting
> the shock to the servo (or gearmotor).

Agreed.  A thought I've just had is that since the system we are
discussing involves a position sensor separate from the gearmotor,
there is no overriding reason to attach the sensor directly to the
motor output.  The sensor could be connected to the steering assembly
directly instead.  The gearmotor could then be attached to the
steering via a slip clutch assembly.  Any shocks to the steering would
be absorbed in the slip clutch thus avoiding damage to the gearmotor.
On the sensor mounting, one would need to ensure the travel of the
steering assembly does not exceed the throw of the sensor which would
damage it.

Steve Tyng