I just had similar problems with my wired 360 controller i got for my
laptop this morning. I just adjusted the dead zone and responsiveness.
I guess the dead zone is similar to dead band. 25% works good on xbox
but the sticks i find are generally sturdier and more likely to
return. Have you ever thought of modding the controller or hooking
some rubber bands around it at different angles to pull it to center?