FP: it's a Dreamgear gamepad, red lava glower
Just for reference I have a PS3, and the quality of the genuine Sony
gamepad is still far and away better than any third party unit I've
seen. Also, adjusting dead-band can help, but of course it also
reduces the distance of "active" travel on what is already a stick
with limited movement (compared to an aero-style RC), so this makes it
harder to control.

ST: acknowledged and agreed - during my last test drives I didnt throw
a track, and that included neutral turns and climbing a gutter, I
think the track was a little tighter then though, more testing
required!

DC: It's a Kemo #M020 made in Germany, gives 1.1A output max (3min, 5%
duty cycle) - (0.5A continuous) and has thermal overload shutdown.
Several (they depict up to 3 in the diagram)  can be wired in series
to increase the max AMP output, or they make a bigger one that can
handle 3A (the M030). This unit is the only one I've seen in the
electronics store that I found it in and from memory it was quite
expensive at around $40 (AUD). Here is a link:
http://www.hood.de/auction/34732216/kemo-m020-lkw-boot-spannungswandler-von-24-v-13-8-v-.htm
My rear idlers are bearing spinners on the fixed rear axle, they are
not bound together but I have thought about it, thanks for the tip.