Dave,

If historical accuracy was used to determine hit points everybody would be
building modern MBT's.  I agree that the current setup is not perfect but it
is working for the limited number of battling tanks.  This is first and
foremost a battling hobby and not a scale hobby.
Since the hobby is open to all tanks ever produced (and we want it that way
to cater to all tastes), I think it would be more advantageous for the hobby
to determine hit points based on a designs performance against its
contemporaries.  For example, a T-34/76 isn't thought of as a heavy tank
today but when it was built nothing could touch it, so it would be
classified as a heavy.  Likewise, the Panzer II-J, would be classified as a
light as it would not have lasted more than a few seconds against a KV (the
undisputed heavy in 1940 to 1942).  Such a classification scheme would allow
WW1 rumboids to battle competivaly against M1's and I think that would be
very cool indeed.

Go ahead and build the Jagdpanther and build it to the three foot rule.  It
would be a terror on the battlefield.

Steve Tyng