Damian Iseminger wrote:

To be honest, access point construction goes against the whole point of RDA.
As a content standard, it really should only be concerned that certain
information is recorded, not in how it is constructed or manipulated.

RDA's full title is Resource Description and Access.  The "Description" part
of the title is the recording of information.  The "Access" part of the
title is the providing of access points.  (Well, at least to me.)  Not only
does access point construction fall squarely within the scope of RDA, it is
actually a fundamental part of it.  In a world of shared bibliographic
information, I totally fail to see how we can facilitate access apart from
having standards for the construction of access points.

Kevin M. Randall

Principal Serials Cataloger

Bibliographic Services Dept.

Northwestern University Library