My intention here was not to get into a flame war.  I spend a good
portion of my day constructing music uniform titles according to AACR2.
I participate in the NACO Music Project and am a believer in cooperative
cataloging.  You will find no bigger advocate for well constructed
access points formulated to defined standards.  So yes, we need explicit
instructions for constructing access points.  But do they necessarily
have to be those instructions in RDA? That was my only point.

What I am trying to get at is that it seems the access point
construction instructions (especially for music access points) probably
don't need to be as specific as they are.  RDA doesn't mandate how
bibliographic data should be constructed or displayed.  It only mandates
that certain elements be recorded.  I was applying this same thinking to
access points. RDA should quite properly mandate that certain elements
appear in the access point.  But maybe it doesn't need to be specific as
to how those elements are constructed.  Mandate that the medium should
appear in the access point.  But do you need to tell me how the
component parts of the medium statement need to be ordered? Or
formatted? Maybe not.

Damian Iseminger