If my arguments have the appearance of being weapons in a flame war, I do
apologize.  Thank you for clarifying your position on access point
construction, Damian.  Now I understand more where you're coming from, but
I'm afraid that I still must disagree quite strongly.  At some dreamed-for
time in the future, all bibliographic data in the world will be connected in
some vast network, and at that time systems may be able to make all of the
connections to express relationships between all of the entities, and
catalogers won't have to worry about constructing the access points.

But we don't live in that time yet, and probably won't for quite a while.
RDA has instructions for choosing all of the elements that are needed to
make those connections, as you have pointed out.  But RDA is also being
developed specifically to be able to work not only in that future time, but
today as well.  Yes, I DO need to have RDA tell me how to construct the
access points, because I need to create metadata that will work locally and
in WorldCat, and that other libraries can take and use "as is"; and I DO
need to have other catalogers follow the same instructions I do, so I can
take and use their records "as is".  Without agreed-upon standards for
access point construction, we will absolutely be going backwards, because
more and more work will need to be done to get records into shape to work
together with other records in local and consortial systems.

I think catalogers are expecting RDA to be more than AACR2, not less, but if
RDA left out instructions on constructing the access points, it would most
certainly be vastly inferior to AACR2.  (Okay, I know that last statement is
inviting a LOT of comment unrelated to the specific issue being discussed in
this thread; so be it...)  There has been an awful lot of energy spent to
get this international cooperative enterprise as far as it's come.  Why
should RDA leave out such an essential part of the cataloging process?  Why
should cataloging agencies, which already will be having to pay
who-knows-what to be able to use RDA, have to then buy or license yet
another resource not just for guidance or interpretation but for the basics?
What other entity with the international scope of the JSC would take on the
job of writing the instructions?  And if it turns out that some coordination
is needed between RDA and this external access-point-construction code, who
does that and how?

Kevin M. Randall

Principal Serials Cataloger

Bibliographic Services Dept.