>>> Mark Ehlert <ehler...@umn.edu> 3/15/2011 1:24 PM >>>
On Tue, Mar 15, 2011 at 11:52 AM, Linda Gonzalez
<linda.gonza...@lyrasis.org> wrote:
> Based on my own reading, and the majority of the test records, I believe that
>
> 336 two-dimensional moving image
> 337 computer
> 338 online resource

That's my take on it too.

> 300 $a 1 online resource (1 streaming video file (xx min., x sec.))

A strict reading of the second paragraph of RDA 3.4.1.7.5 (Number of
Subunits - Online Resources) limits the choice of subunit terms (the
stuff in the second set of parentheses) to the terms listed under
3.19.2.3 (File Type) and no more.  Note that the list does not include
"streaming [something] file."  Nor does 3.4.1.7.5 mention following
the File Type option of making up an appropriate term like "streaming
video file" (i.e., changing 3.4.1.7.5's "...specify the number of
files using one or more terms listed under 3.19.2.3 to designate the
file type" to "...specify the number of files following the
instructions under 3.19.2.3 to designate the file type").

Again, strictly reading RDA, the streaming part is mentioned in a note
of some kind, whether following the final paragraph of 3.4.1.7.5 or
following 3.19.2.4 (Details of File Type)--perhaps for the latter, the
term could be interpreted in such a way that it gets squeezed into the
300 $b.

Kinda sucks, though.  I'm hoping for a revision.

--
Mark K. Ehlert                 Minitex
Coordinator                    University of Minnesota

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE:
This e-mail message from Hamilton East Public Library
(including all attachments) is for the sole use of the intended recipients
Any unauthorized review, use, disclosure, copying or distribution is