Jonathan Rochkind <rochk...@jhu.edu> wrote:
> Please _don't_ add your own made up appropriate term in a 336/337/338.  What
> makes them so useful is that they are a controlled vocabulary, software can
> recognize the strings in there _exactly_, from a known list, and take
> appropriate action.

You're not supposed to since content, media, and carrier (CMC) types
are closed vocabularies.  Converting them to something else for
display purposes--like what Mac is/will be doing--may not be an issue
as long as the original terms are stationed somewhere.

> So it's _entirely_ appropriate that no provision is made for "following the
> File Type option of making up an appropriate term", that doesn't suck at
> all!  That's creating data that can be used by software.

That's a different element (3.19.2), not one of the CMC types (3.2,
3.3, 6.9).  And according to 3.19.2, "[i]f none of the terms listed
above is appropriate or sufficiently specific, use a term designating
the file type as concisely as possible."  In this respect, File Type
is an open vocabulary, and nothing's preventing other terms eventually
making their way into this listing.

> I suppose it would be okay if a made up appropriate term were in a seperate
> subfield.

Good idea, at least until the new term gets established into the RDA guidelines.

On a slightly related note, I wouldn't mind moving container
dimensions into a separate MARC subfield(s), so its term and
dimensions can be exercised separately from the remainder of the
physical description, such as for display adding a contextual "in"
before RDA's "container 12 x 14 x 25 cm".

--
Mark K. Ehlert                 Minitex
Coordinator                    University of Minnesota